The Desalination and Brine Processing Innovation Centre Director will take responsibility for the development of the NEOM’s facility which is focused on advancing technologies aligned with the Water Sectors’ strategic goals to achieve desalination solutions of the future. Short-term objectives are to implement a research and development hub utilizing technologies developed in the establishment of the Desalination scheme achieving a zero-waste concept for desalination. The establishment of the facility will then enable benchmarking for the assessment and development of further innovative solutions. The Innovation Center will form an incubator for the development of process technologies which will then be available for full-scale implementation within NEOM’s Desalination and Brine processing full-scale facilities through collaboration and development with relevant stakeholders and to export as a solution provider to third parties.
The Baseline NEOM Zero-Waste desalination process comprises an Intake System, Pre-Treatment, Nano Filtration Separation of Monovalent and Polyvalent dissolved solids, Reverse Osmosis Desalination (Monovalent Stream), High Recovery Desalination, Stabilization, and Mineralization.
Brine Processes include the recovery of High Purity Industrial Grade Salt, Bromine, Boron, Potassium, Lithium, Rubidium, Calcium Sulphate, and Magnesium.
The Director will take responsibility for the development of the Innovation Research and Development Center and will work closely with the Director (Desalination and Brine Innovative Solutions) to identify and develop solutions enabling the baseline process scheme to be further enhanced through increased efficiency, reduced or alternative sustainable energy solutions, reduced operational costs, alternative methods of product recovery or other innovative developments aligned with NEOM goals.
NEOM embraces the vision of regional development focused on the principles of Circular Economy, Zero Waste, Carbon Free, and Sustainable solutions which enhance the environment but are based on sound economic principles.
The role requires an individual willing to embrace change and challenge conventional thinking and approaches whilst appreciating that accomplishing change will require a significant level of commitment, persistence, and skill in managing and developing the solutions with a requirement to satisfy various stakeholders’ requirements.
This role challenges every aspect of conventional thinking within the Middle East region regarding water supply including, Technical, Economic, Environmental, Development, and Implementation approaches for large municipal scale facilities.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Management of the evolution of the Desalination and Brine Processing Innovation Center.
- Development of strategic objectives for the Desalination and Brine Processing Centre including the facility budget and program.
- Build the Innovation Center team’s expertise to facilitate the operational requirements for the facility.
- Identification and evaluation of Innovation developments that align with NEOM objectives through development initiatives including technical and financial evaluation of proposals.
- Collaboration with Universities for joint research and development initiatives.
- Collaboration with Intuitions for joint research and development initiatives.
- Development of roadmaps for Research and Development schemes through to full-scale implementation.
- Identification of key technology components and engaging with suppliers to establish means by which technology is incorporated within the desalination facilities.
- Establish with potential suppliers roadmaps for technology development, innovation, and joint partnerships.
- Identification and capture of intellectual property opportunities.
- Promote the development of NEOM’s achievements.
- Work in collaboration with the Desalination and Brine Innovations Solutions Director to identify and develop innovative solutions.
- Assist to build out a Global Water Solutions offering through the water industry.
- Liaison with other Sectors, Primarily ENVIRONMENT, SUSTAINABILITY, ENERGY, EDUCATION, and MEDIA.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Recognized international expert in the development of innovative Desalination and Brine Processing solutions.
- An extensive network of contacts within the field of Desalination and associated technologies.
- Excellent abilities in developing start-up Innovation technologies through innovation incubator to full-scale implementation.
- Ability to build the team responsible for management and performance of the Innovation Center.
- Experience in a dynamic complex commercial organization, managing multiple projects
- Understanding of project management frameworks and experience developing planning, monitoring, and evaluation systems
- Ability to persuade and influence people at all levels
- Strong Program and Project Management experience
- Strong experience within a sector structured organization and management techniques to achieve goals
- The skills to manage and lead great projects and people
- Collaboration across a Matrixed organization
- Be prepared to be Challenged
- Demonstrated ability to foster trusted long-term business relationships internally, with colleagues and stakeholders for mutual benefit
- Knowledge of Quality & Safety and the importance of risk management
- Budget development and management.
- Ability to implement long-term strategic plans for the successful development and continuity of NEOM.
To apply for this job please visit career23.sapsf.com.